Fabrics Buying Guide
Laura Ashley offers over 160 fabrics, available to buy by the metre or to be made up in our beautifully crafted made to measure curtains and blinds. Created from a variety of cottons and silks and designed with the utmost attention to detail, our fabrics combine our company heritage with the needs of our customers, resulting in a dazzling array of options that offer exceptional quality alongside value for money.
When selecting your fabric carefully consider the best option for you.
- Some of our more delicate fabrics such as velvets exhibit shading variations, crushing, lines and bruising, which create unique features.
- Fabric with a linen/cotton content can pill. Some may display slub effects.
- Linen has a natural tendency to crease which enhances its textural appearance. Creases soften when the fabric relaxes in use, this is a feature of this fabric.
- Silk is a natural fabric with slubs and lines which are all part of its character. Silk naturally degrades when exposed to heat and sunlight over a period of time.
N.B. None of these fabric features are a sign of premature wear, but are natural characteristics which do not affect product quality.
It is important to consider the following points before buying our fabrics:
- Vertical pattern repeat of the fabric designs.
- Half drop repeats.
- Atmospheric conditions-some fabrics can shrink and/or expand in various climates.
- Design alignment-as some fabrics do not always have perfect design alignment straight across the width we guarantee our fabrics do not go offline by more than 3% (i.e. 4cm on a 140cm wide fabric).
Available on fabrics of various weights, these provide our customers with stylish ways to introduce colour and pattern into their homes.
All our printed fabrics are made in the UK.
Decadently luxurious, and created with an emphasis on colour and finish, our range of silk fabrics will breathe effortless elegance into your décor.
Silks that are mixed with polyester can provide specific advantages over 100% natural fabrics, such as improved crease resistance, durability and high colour retention.
A fresh, simple way to introduce colour and pattern into your interiors.
Featuring regularly spaced and slightly raised woven designs.
In much the same way as checks, these provide a touch of colour to your décor without the commitment of an all-over pattern
Patterns are woven elegantly and subtly into the high quality fabric with either muted or high contrast options available.
Our cotton linen blends are carefully woven to create a simple but high quality fabric, designed to be used alone or to complement other, more decorative, fabrics from our ranges.
Sumptuous and opulent, our range of velvet fabrics combine texture and depth.
Our woven linen range gives a soft, casual and homely feel to any room.
These exquisite fabrics can become a great focal point when designing your room by adding drama and elegance or just creating a casual and easy living feel. Our embroideries are rich in colour and are available in a variety of weights and luxurious finishes, ensuring there is something for everyone.
- To aid you in visualising how different fabrics will work in your home, a wide range of free fabric swatches is available in store.
- View the full range on our website by clicking here.
- Up to 8 fabric swatches can be sent to your home by adding them to your basket online, ordering in store, or calling 0871 230 2301. (Calls may be recorded and/or monitored. Calls cost 10p per minute plus network extras.)
- Because our fabrics are made from high quality yarns, many will exhibit characteristics such as crushing, pilling and creasing. These do not affect the quality or performance of the fabrics but should be taken into consideration when making your selection.
- Consider the lighting in the room for which you are shopping and view the fabrics under both natural and artificial light as colour variations may occur.
- Every effort is made to ensure our products supplied correspond as closely as possible to our samples in our stores, catalogue and website. However, variations do occur during normal manufacturing of different batches and due to the unique characteristics of the individual fabrics.
Cleaning & Care
Follow the specific instructions for each fabric carefully and always check the label, as recommended care for the fabric may differ from the recommended care for the product
- Dry Clean Only
- Sensitive Dry Clean Only
- Clean co-ordinated items at the same time.
- Always allow for 3% shrinkage upon the first wash or dry clean.
- To remove everyday household dust and dirt, clean by gently vacuuming fabric with an upholstery brush.
- Periodic cleaning of the entire product is required to maintain appearance and reduce premature wear and fading.
- Avoid contact with chemicals and cosmetics such as hair products and suncreams.
- Remove all spills immediately. Blot liquid spills with a clean, dry, white cloth, work towards the centre of the spill. Do not rub or use abrasive cleaners as this may damage the fabric. Should a spill result in a stain seek professional advice immediately.
Sunlight and Heat
All fabrics can be affected by heat and light, and over time fading may occur dependent upon the degree of heat and light exposure and fabric type.
Back to shopping