Investing in a True Original
Genuine leather is natural and warm with truly individual characteristics. Laura Ashley only use high quality full and semi aniline leathers, many tanned using water based dyes or pigments and finished with natural substances such as beeswax. This allows the natural markings, scars, shade variation and beautiful characteristics of authentic leather to be enjoyed. All our leathers are a by-product of the food industry. In fact, all Laura Ashley leather upholstery is made to exacting quality standards and individually inspected before leaving the manufacturer.
True Beauty Comes with Maturity
With a little care, leather will improve with age. Occasionally, the odd mark or scratch can occur, body shape moulding will happen and colours may mellow, but this does not affect durability, it will simply enhance the unique appearance of your piece and add extra character. Leather is an investment for the future to be enjoyed for many years to come.
Choose the Perfect Leather Option for You
We offer leathers to suit all tastes. Some of our leathers have extra character with distressed and wax finishes. These create more significant variances in texture and colour, with enhanced markings under the wax. Pull up*maybe evident, especially on waxed finishes and the crackle effect will vary for a truly individual look. Some of our leathers have had the surface texture removed and a finish applied, giving a more uniform appearance, although characteristics may still be visible. Several hides are used to cover a sofa so variation in colour and texture may occur between the different parts of a piece which will all create a sophisticated and unique effect.
The following symbols guide on the level of features of the different leathers we offer.
Visible texture, markings and scars
Obvious texture, markings and scars
Strongly features heavy texture markings and scars.
Our leathers are categorised into two bands of Fine and Character
Fine: High grade leathers with natural blemishes, markings and unique colour shading visible. They generally tend to have a more consistent appearance but with some characteristics still visible.
Character: For an authentic look, all of the natural blemishes, markings and unique colour shading are visible. Some have semi distressed and waxed finishes for more variance in character and texture.
- To help you visualise how different leathers will work in your home, you can order up to four leather swatches by calling 03332 008 009 (Calls may be recorded and/or monitored. Calls are charged at national landline rate. Please check your phone service provider for details), or order in store quoting the product number and a description
- Swatches represent the leather design and colour. Delivered Product may differ due to normal variations in manufacturing. Swatches are not under tension, so if selected for upholstered products delivered items may adopt a slightly different texture and appearance.
It is important to understand the features found on all good quality leathers. These are natural characteristics of leather and should not be mistaken for defects.
Scars can be recognised as dark lines in the leather and do not affect the durability or performance.
Neck and Growth Marks
These lines are caused by stretching in the hide during its lifetime and may look like creases in the leather, these are features of leather and do not affect performance.
After a time all leathers will relax and mould from use, this is quite normal with leather upholstery and will not reduce comfort.
Every hide will have a slightly different grain pattern, and variation in colour within the same hide can occur. Four hides are needed to make one large sofa, so variation in colour and texture may occur between the different parts of a piece.
Leather must be stretched taut for perfect upholstery; this causes it to appear lighter in colour especially across tighter areas such as arms. This effect will be more obvious on wax and oiled finishes.
After a time all leathers will relax and mould from use, this is quite normal with leather upholstery especially those with fixed seats, and will not reduce comfort.
On some wax finished leathers, characteristic scratch type marks may occur during the tanning and tumbling processes, these will be under the wax and quite normal. Wax and oiled finishes occasionally scratch in use, however these surface scratches can be reduced by massaging the leather to redistribute natural oils.
A comprehensive Information and Care Guide will be provided which should be followed carefully, for full information please see Upholstery Cleaning and Care section.
To maintain the unique look of your Laura Ashley leather furniture, we recommend you avoid exposure to direct sunlight or heat, dust regularly with a soft cloth, remove spills immediately and use our Leather Care Collection to help treat everyday soiling, scratches and marks.
Leather Care Collection
Contents include: 250ml leather cleaner, 250ml leather protector, cloth, sponge and a guide to application and use. These products are not suitable for use on Colorado leather.
Most ranges contain a high quality fibre seat cushion interior, this is a one of the highest quality premium polyester fibres with an advanced coiled shape and will have a more relaxed, casual look, ideal if you like to curl up on the sofa.
- Fibre pads must be plumped daily after use to maintain the soft comfortable feel.
- Carefully follow the guide enclosed with your product to prevent fibres binding which can cause cushions to flatten or lose comfort and shape.
- To correctly maintain, at least weekly, turn the pad onto one of its outside edges and beat the opposite side vigorously inwards with the flat of your hand, repeat for each side, then shake and replace.
- Pads must be removed from their covers to carry out maintenance on a regular basis.
- All leather covered cushions should be turned inside their covers, and their positions rotated to ensure even wear wherever possible.
Selected products have feather, or a mixture of fibre and feather. This is a luxury pad filling and as with all feather fillings will flatten considerably with use. It is easily restored with the same maintenance as fibre pads.
The Brandon range features Foam interiors which provide a firmer more resilient seat that benefits from low maintenance.
Sofa beds are ideal for accommodating those extra guests and contain a bed mechanism under the seat cushion this will create a firmer seat than standard sofas, and raise the depth of the seat slightly.
Operate the bed mechanism with care to prevent damage to the mechanism or upholstery:
- Remove the seat cushions and platform cover.
- Lift the front steel rail using the handle. Do not lift from the back.
- The folded frame will move upwards and forward.
- Continue to unfold the mechanism until it is fully extended.
- Remove bedding before closing bed.
Frames and Guarantee
- The timbers used in Laura Ashley upholstery frames are carefully selected for their stability and strength, quality and durability. Our frames can be made from a variety of materials, but most are made from hardwood and a mixture of manufactured man made boards. Frames are glued, screwed and dowelled.
- Our robust and durable frames and springs are manufactured to comply with British Standards and are guaranteed for a reassuring five years of normal domestic use.
- The guarantee does not apply to the leather or cushion fillings as we have no control over their use, or the environment in which they are kept.
- Seconds and ex-display pieces are not covered by the five year guarantee.